Hi,  I just a got a gig in a local bar/restaurant. Here's all the background info so you can make comments for me:

It is a Tiki and Sports Bar, tropical decor, descent food, tables and waitress service for eating.  I was paid $200 for 3 hrs 5 to 8 pm.  The location is literally 10 minutes from my house, so that is convenient.   They are not charging a "cover charge."   Do you think this is a "fair " rate for a bar ?  I asked if I could put out a tip jar, which I did, got $25 in tips....   I know bars do not pay well, but maybe that is if a band gets the door (cover charge).    Did the owners like it ?  yes ,,, they loved it alot, he asked if i could come back every friday for happy hr 5 to 8 ,  and i asked for $100 more for my son, who is playing really phenomenal percussion on conga, bongos, cymbal, etc, (a nice hybrid set). He also wants us for sunday nights 5-8 in the summer. 

so, please let me know your comments,,,, thanks

ps   I consider myself a "professional" but I just started playing gigs for money in July, and this is my first experience with a bar ( i have played wedding cocktail hrs, nursing homes, and private parties ).

Views: 118

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hi terry.

i think that this sounds like a good price.. here's why, it is a steady gig (it seems), you are allowed to accept tips, and it is close to you.  if you were to sell cd's you could clean up.

thanks Brad.   I agree.   Last night was our second gig at the same place, it went well.  We added 2 new songs last night from your books:   Somewhere over the Rainbow and we closed the final set with Turn the Beat Around.  People commented on both songs to me personally last night, so I would like to say THANK YOU to you for composing a great track and music for me!       Steel Margarita & Co.

brad shores said:

hi terry.

i think that this sounds like a good price.. here's why, it is a steady gig (it seems), you are allowed to accept tips, and it is close to you.  if you were to sell cd's you could clean up.

hi terry.

congratulations on your success and letting me be a part of it.  we usually get some comments on "rainbow" as well.   people always seem to clap for elvis' "cant help falling in love with you"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

C Lead Tenor Pan for Sale

Hello,

I have a C lead tenor pan for sale for $1200.  I purchased it new from Alan Coyle earlier this year.  It is a Calypso Pro series pan. 

I would be happy to provide recordings via email. …

Continue

Posted by Lori on June 9, 2019 at 1:18pm — 1 Comment

Pan tunes 9 pics

Posted by brad shores on May 15, 2019 at 7:11am — 1 Comment

Pan Kat

Alternate Mode Pan KAT

Up for auction is a Pan KAT Midi Steel Drum that I used to play reggae tunes.  I have had the Pan KAT for 10 + years but really only used it for about a year to play solo steel drum and some Jimmy Buffett tunes for friends (I am a guitar player).  The original unit cost about $1,800 without the case and I am offering it up for $825 plus shipping.  I used an older Roland MIDI sampler (not included) for the steel drum sounds but IndigiSounds (YouTube link…

Continue

Posted by brad shores on January 30, 2019 at 9:44am — 1 Comment

Advanced pan technique

So there are lots of books and videos on how to play pan - all the ones I've seen are for beginners. Anybody know of Advanced technique books? I see LiamTteague does a beginner book- I would love for him to do one for more advanced players.

Posted by Eric Rollnick on November 29, 2018 at 2:09pm — 4 Comments

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2019   Created by brad shores.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service